We’re a leading blog that’s been featured on Buzzfeed, Forbes, Psychology Today, Oprah, HuffPost, Vice, and more.
We’re searching for an experienced editor. This person will work directly with writers in our community and the founders of the publications, Jenn Granneman and Andre Sólo. The associate editor will edit articles for both IntrovertDear.com and HighlySensitiveRefuge.com.
- Must have professional experience writing and editing online content
- Freelance, about 20-25 hours a week
- Work from home/live anywhere
- We want someone who will grow with us long-term
Our Editing Philosophy
This is not (only) a proofreading position. Our editor must bring a deep understanding of what makes an article “work”; have a knack for seeing the hidden potential in pieces; be comfortable doing developmental editing without losing the writer’s voice; and make sure each post provides real value for readers. Ultimately, each article has to speak to the reader’s own struggles, anticipate and answer their questions, and help them in a meaningful way. Grammar and spelling are important, but so is showing the reader we’re on their side.
Ultimately, our editor is here to advance the introvert and highly sensitive revolution.
- Experienced (with a portfolio) in editing feature blog content. We’re looking for someone with experience making content succeed with a mainstream audience — the kind of thing people share because it helps them feel seen and understood.
- Experienced in writing meaty think pieces, interview pieces, listicles, and other types of online content
- Experienced in developing relationships with new writers and occasionally commissioning pieces
- Knowledge of SEO and content linking
- Self-starter, takes charge, stays on top of project deliverables
- Organized, efficient, stays on top of schedules (including communication with writers)
- Deep understanding of content structure, hooking a reader, and telling a story
- Experience with Google Docs, WordPress, Trello, Gmail, and Slack
- Masterful command of American English; basic understanding of AP Style
- Track record of creating high-performing think pieces and viral content that drives traffic
Writers submit articles for consideration
(as Google Docs, via email)
Editor reviews submissions and chooses most promising pieces
(communicates with authors by email; tracks workflow in Trello)
↓ ↓ ↓
Editor does initial review and asks author to make changes if needed
(in shared Google Doc)
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Editor thoroughly edits; formats; adds links; finalizes author bio; and proofreads
(in shared Google Doc)
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Site founders give article a “final review” and author approves final version
↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓
Editor passes to virtual assistant to load into WordPress
Goals and Deliverables
- Produce 8-10 edited, finalized articles per week
- Research and write 2+ meaty, original articles per month
- Work through editing backlog — reduce submission response time to less than 2 weeks
- Create content “buffer” of 3+ months
- Position type: Contractor (1099/freelance worker)
- Hours: This is a part-time, ongoing, long-term role. Starts at 20-25 hours/week with an expectation to expand in the future; we’re looking for someone to grow with us long-term.
- Location: Work from home/remote. Ideally Central Time or within +3/-3 hours of Central Time.
- Volume of content production:
- (Editing) Approximately 8-10 edited and finalized articles per week;
- (Editing) Review several dozen submissions per week; and
- (Writing) Write at least two original articles per month, developing them into meaty, meaningful pieces.
- We expect this to grow over time, and for the number of hours to increase; we are looking for an editor who believes in the sites and wants to ramp up working with us as we grow.
- Communication: This position does require occasional video or phone meetings. Most daily communication is by Slack.
- Rate: Please specify your rate (per hour) in the application form (required).
- Deep understanding of introversion and high sensitivity
- Bonus points if you live in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area and are available for occasional in-person meetings